Friday, August 17, 2012

Staying in Sartrouville

Wednesday I took it easy and stayed in Sartrouville all day with my family.

First we went to Carrefour which reminds me of a Walmart, but much classier. So I guess it's like a Super Target. Whenever I had to buy something, my relatives always said "No problem, we'll go to Carrefour!" The only way I can describe the accessibility and obsession of this store in France is comparing it to how people in the South are obsessed with the grocery store Publix.

FROMAGE. Cheese is a big deal here if y'all didn't know. I wanted to try some but my uncle told me I was not ready for "stinky cheese" yet.


Decided to buy these. They taste exactly like cheeseburgers!!


Macaroons. First famous French dessert that I have NOT liked! Too sweet and soft (I guess that description doesn't make them sound that bad)



When I got back home from my awesome food shopping trip, I found my cousins outside doing artsy stuff. Love these kids.

Painting


Professional photographer at work...shooting a bubble


My attempt at painting. Please don't blackmail me with this.


Artsy sister shot



After being all creative, I felt like stretching my legs a little, so I went exploring around Sartrouville on my own. There is this cute little town center area where I sat to people watch. Now don't judge me, but I took many stalker-ish photographs of this little blonde girl because she was so adorable in her little dress riding her scooter around shoots of water!

Take 1


Take 2


Those were the best ones I took before her parents started looking in my general direction, seemingly concerned. My cue to leave!

A Sartrouville post office! As a mailwoman at my university, I felt truly at home here.


Found a flower shop! With an old man looking at flowers, deciding what to buy for a loved one! Seems like I have stumbled upon a quintessential scene from a French film.


Bizarre flower


Flowers I bought for my family <3




I only had a little bit of money left in my wallet so I only had the option of buying these little bouquets of flowers. I almost didn't buy this because the bouquet looked so small and pathetic, and was halfway home when I turned around and decided to go buy it anyway because I wanted to do something nice for my family. When I brought the flowers to the cashier, he asked me something in rapid French, and I panicked and said "Oui" without understanding what he said. He then proceeded to go all out in wrapping these skinny pink flowers into a pretty display with tissue paper and ribbons, all for free! Lesson learned: say yes to everything!

1 comment:

  1. omg! they have Carrefour in Taiwan. They call it Jia Le Fu.. it's probably less classy in Taiwan though!

    ReplyDelete